The Greek dishes on Molos’ menu are courtesy of Executive Chef Gregory Zapantis and they are as impressive and unforgettable as the picture-perfect views.
Born on the Greek island of Kefalonia, Zapantis was forged by the values of a traditional fisherman’s family who respected the sea and all that it generously brought to their tables. Surrounded by the succulent flavors of charcoal grilled fish, and recipes handed down from generation to generation, he quickly mastered the most basic skills of treating seafood. Soon after, herbs, spices and olive oil became the arsenal that would fortify him on his gastronomical quest across the Atlantic.
Zapantis came to Molos Restaurant (1 Pershing Road, Weehawken, NJ) in November 2014, following time spent in the kitchens of Estiatorio Milos, Trata, Kellari and Thalassa in NYC.
Below is Zapantis’ recipe for Barrel-Aged Stuffed Calamari.
INGREDIENTS FOR BARREL-AGED STUFFED CALAMARI
* 4 Medium sized calamari (cleaned)
* 1 Tomato-medium diced
* ½ lb. Feta-medium diced
* 4 oz. Roasted pine nuts
* 4 oz. Extra virgin olive oil
* 1 tsp. Fresh oregano
* 1 tsp. Fresh basil
* Fresh Pepper to taste
PREPARATION FOR STUFFING
1. In bowl, mix tomato, feta and roasted pine nuts.
2. In blender, mix olive oil and herbs (oregano, basil and pepper). Blend herbs for about 1 minute. Add herb mixture into bowl with the tomato, feta and pine nuts mixture and mix.
1. Stuff the calamari with the feta and fresh herb mix.
2. Close the top of the calamari with a toothpick.
3. Grill the stuffed calamari for approximately 6 minutes.
Molos is a Greek and Mediterranean-inspired seafood restaurant located on the Hudson River. Guests are invited to take in unimaginably beautiful unobstructed views of Manhattan, while feeling worlds away from the hustle and bustle of the concrete jungle. Molos offers classic Greek dishes that embody the quality and pride epitomized by generations of fishermen who would gather their daily catch on the docks from their day spent on the Mediterranean Sea. Molos is also a destination for weddings, corporate parties and private events in addition to their Monthly Greek Nights with live Greek music and dancing to invite the community in to experience a culture rooted in love.
Images Courtesy of Molos Restaurant