A new online service is now available for friends or loved ones of smokers.
It’s called Nobituary.com – and it’s the opposite of an obituary – it’s a celebration of life and reminds smokers there’s no better time to kick the habit than now.
Nobituary.com was created by Ian Wishingrad – in partnership with celebrity Whoopi Goldberg and her producing partner Tom Leonardis.
Here’s Goldberg explaining the new, free service:
And here’s Ian, telling us a little bit about himself and his anti-smoking campaign.
THE NEWSWHISTLE Q&A WITH NOBITUARY.COM IAN WISHINGRAD
Name: Ian Wishingrad
Date of Interview: 2/11/15
Birthplace: Stamford, CT
Current town: Manhattan, NY
Occupation: Founder of BigEyedWish, LLC, Creator of Nobituary.com
1. What’s the funniest or saddest thing that’s happened to you this week?
I attached a proposal for one company and sent it to another one. It was incredibly embarrassing!
2. What’s your favorite movie? And why?
Mrs. Doubtfire. It crosses generations and is funny every time your watch.
3. What’s the biggest risk you took in life?
Going out on my own and starting my own company.
4. If you could go back in time and do one thing over, what would that be?
I wouldn’t change a thing. I don’t want to alter the present.
5. Tell us your favorite joke:
I never remember jokes. I have one written down somewhere though.
6. What’s something that most people don’t know about you?
7. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever heard?
You can’t learn when you’re speaking.
8. Who’s your favorite celebrity? And why?
Whoopi Goldberg. She believed in my idea and supported me without looking for anything in return.
9. What’s your strangest phobia or superstition?
I always taste the sides before the main course. I like to build anticipation for the entrée.
10. Last, but not least, is there anything you want to pitch, promote or discuss?
Absolutely! This anti-smoking campaign called Nobituary.com
Oh, and a bonus curve question or two (Answer as many or as a few as you like ). . .
11. Tell us a little more about BigEyedWish. What is it? Why did you start it?
BigEyedWish is a creative agency in NYC. I’ve created The Nimble Network which is a global network of best-in-class thinkers, writers, designers, strategists, agents, directors and developers collaborating to crush the toughest advertising, marketing, branding and entertainment challenges.
12. Where and how did you get the idea for Nobituary?
I saw hundreds of cigarette butts on the ground and thought they looked like headstones. I started to think of an idea where you can upload a cigarette butt of someone and include their obituary, then realized that’s essentially the same negative approach. So I flipped it.
13. What does a creative director do? How did you wind up working in that field? What are some of your favorite moments as a creative director?
My job is two fold: come up with great ideas and cast the right team to execute. I got into the field my sophomore year in high school after taking a TV production class. I started making fake commercials and public service announcements, which won some awards and helped me gain admission to the Newhouse School at Syracuse University.
14. Are there any trends you see developing in the branding, creative or digital industries that you’d like to share with our readers?
Sure. 2 things. #1 simple is still the best route. #2 social media stars aren’t going anywhere.
15. We see you enjoy ocean swimming, tennis playing, and autobiography reading as hobbies, so…
a. What is your favorite outdoor place to swim, and why? I’m all about the beaches in Montauk, NY. They waves are big and the beaches aren’t rocky.
b. What’s been your best tennis moment so far (either playing or watching live)? I’ve been fortunate to attend a few US Open finals, but nothing tops Berman Garros. [inside joke with a friend who has a tennis court in his backyard]
c. What are your top five autobiographies, and why? I’ll give you #1 and that’s Andre Agassi’s Open. He was so honest I couldn’t put it down.