From the Southampton Inn:
“Located in the heart of historic Southampton Village surrounded by several acres of manicured lawns and gardens, the Southampton Inn is a welcome respite from bustling city life. Combining casual Hamptons style with European comfort, the Southampton Inn has been a local landmark for three generations.”
Claude’s — the Southampton Inn’s seasonal restaurant–is open from 7 am to 7pm for breakfast, lunch, and late afternoon bites.
Here is Claude’s recipe for a summer crowd-pleasing Chicken Milanese:
- Put the chicken cutlets on a cutting board and cover them with a large piece of plastic wrap. With a meat mallet, pound the meat to 1/4 inch thick.
- Set up a breading station: in three separate bowls put the flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs. Lightly whisk the eggs. Stir the Parmesan into the breadcrumbs.
- Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Dredge them in flour and shake off the excess, then dip them in egg, and then in breadcrumbs to coat.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add the olive oil and butter. When the fat is hot add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Remove to paper towels to drain until ready to serve.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sliced onion, arugula, tomato and basil. Add diced mozzarella and add the juice and zest of one lemon. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Gently toss and serve atop the chicken.
Lead-In Image Courtesy of Claude’s at the Southampton Inn and Photographer B. Felice