A delicate hot broth with one to three chewy balls of matzo ball goodness… yes, the Jewish holiday of Passover comes once a year, but we could live on Matzo Ball Soup on a regular basis. And that’s no schmaltz!
Here, Nuhma Tuazon, owner of Nuhma NYC, offers her delicious take on the Passover classic.
NUHMA’S SOFT-HERBED MATZO BALL RECIPE
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of chicken broth (set aside)
- 1 1⁄4 cups of matzo meal
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of vodka
- 2 tablespoons of club soda
- 1⁄4 cup of chicken fat (schmaltz)
- 2 tablespoons of dill, parsley, chives & chervil (finely chopped)
- Place the chicken broth in a deep pot over medium heat.
- Mix the matzo meal and the eggs together in a separate bowl.
- Add the salt, vodka, mixed herbs, club soda, chicken fat (schmaltz) and the remaining tablespoon of chicken broth. Make sure to mix well.
- Place in the freezer for 45 minutes.
- Use 2 tablespoons to form the matzo balls (the size of the balls depends on your preference).
- When the broth is hot, but not yet boiling, use a slotted spoon to place each ballinto the soup.
- Cover the pot and cook for an extra 40 minutes.
- 18 large matzo balls
ABOUT NUHMA TUAZON
Nuhma NYC chef & owner Nuhma Tuazon has curated a special Passover menu that includes the Seder Plate for $25 with roasted eggs, shank bones, horseradish root and parsley, Medium Potato Latkes for $30 with applesauce and sour cream, Chopped Liver with sautéed onions and eggs for $15, 18 pieces of Deviled Quail Eggs for $25 and Zucchini Fritters with housemate Za’atar labneh for $24. Soups include Matzoh Balls for $2.50, Classic Chicken soup for $25 and Classic Consomme for $25. Salads include Local Baby Spring Mixed Salad for $15, Artichoke Salad for $19 and Local Apples Chopped Salad for $17. Mains include Cedar Steelhead Salmon Plank for $38, Braised Lamb Tagine for $30, Classic Braised Brisket for $12 and Roasted Poussin Spring Whole Chicken with pan jus, rosemary, thyme and lemon for $30. For desserts enjoy Flourless Chocolate Cake for $5, Lemon Cheesecake for $30 and Coconut Macaroons for $12. Orders can be placed by emailing info@NuhmaNYC.com and more information can be found by visiting, https://nuhmanyc.com.
Images Courtesy of Nuhma Tuazon