We’re looking forward to 2021, when The Neverlutionaries ring in the new year with their debut EP.
Described as a “psychedelic shoegaze-y jazz alt rock band,” the group consists of frontman Christopher Harold Wells (Peasants of the Apocalypse, Apollo Heights, Lovehead And The Real) and a stellar group of backing musicians, including:
- Legendary guitarist Kenny Olson (Bootsy Collins, Steven Perkins from Jane’s Addiction, Norwood Fisher from Fishbone, fabled drummer James Gadson);
- San Francisco drummer/producer Chris McGrew (Pamela Parker and The Fantastic Machine, co-owner Wally’s Hydeout in Hyde Street Studios C where Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Santana, CCR and CSN&Y recorded);
- Pianist Ryan Hickey (producer, Wally’s Hydeout);
- Session/studio drummer Nick Baglio (Gucci Mane); and
- Guitarist Jonnie Axtell (Psychefunkapus).
Already we’re digging a Neverlutionaries’ song called “Ariana” — a dreamy song infused with steady drums, colorful keyboard sounds, and impassioned vocals.
Below we learn about Christopher and his Favorite Things while preparing for the Neverlution.
FAVORITE MOVIE, AND WHY:
The Shawshank Redemption is my favorite movie because it shows an innocent guy wrongly convicted who never lost faith in his innocence and who he was. And he had a breaking point that caused him to escape. A beautiful story set in an ugly and scary place… We all have breaking points…
FAVORITE BOOK, AND WHY:
Behold a Pale Horse by William Cooper I dig it because it reveals the truth about a lot of things that will blow your mind. I invite you to discover it for yourself…
PLACE I WANT TO VISIT, AND WHY:
Egypt! So many reasons that I want to go but mainly to see the pyramids and stand where advanced civilization first got its groove on!
FAVORITE OUTFIT, AND WHY:
The Neverlution has begun and this is one of my official uniforms per se: a slight military feel with a rad of flair to set it off!! When the US heals from racial problems and issues, I will morph into a colorful being. Until then, I will keep it real.
Lead-in Image Courtesy of Hafeez Raji; Favorite Outfit Portrait Courtesy of CLETUS